Friday, June 01, 2007

School's Out!

Kaleb's been out of school for one week now! It's hard to believe that summer has officially begun. I covered his last day and more in this week's column.

"Yesterday was my son’s last day of kindergarten and he walked from the school looking dejected and forlorn. When I asked why he was so sad, he said it was because he wouldn’t see his teacher again for a long time. It was tragic and adorable all at the same time.

I was the dork who showed up with a camera and made my gloomy kindergarten graduate take pictures in front of the school. All at once I realized that he had just passed another development milestone. Kindergarten is just preschool on steroids (vitamins, really) and here he was, finished with the grade that doesn’t include lunch, multiple recesses, and an early release day. Come fall he would run with the big dogs and spend half his day away from home. Sheesh, whose bright idea was that? What are we, a heartless nation that sends our kids off to learn for, like, six hours in a row?"

Click here to read more.

No comments: