Today we went to Kaleb’s baseball game. It was 2:30 in the afternoon and sweltering hot. We forgot water bottles and had to scrounge around in our van for empty canisters to fill with drinking fountain water. From that time until now I’ve enjoyed classic summertime favorites:
* Slugging water so fast it dribbles down your chin.
* Watching red-cheeked children chase each other through the grass (even though it’s over 95 degrees out).
* Getting ice cream after the game and watching my kids lick vanilla goo from around their mouths.
* Turning the sprinkler on under the trampoline so they can jump through a water mist.
* Walking from the room for a moment only to return and find that everyone’s dead asleep on the couch.
* Going on a bike ride with Kaleb and being so thirsty afterwards that we slug water fast and it dribbles down our chins.
When you have kids it’s like stepping into a time machine and warping back to your own childhood. This time I’m savoring it (and taking lots of pictures).
What are your classic summertime favorites?