Thursday, June 21, 2007

Flashback

I just had a conversation with my three-year old that is too deja vu not to document (and is nearly identical to my very first post):

I'm typing on the computer while Zack balances on one of my knees, chatting on and on as he points to the directions that came with a Spiderman toy. All at once he manually turns my face to his, one sticky hand on each cheek.

"Is Spiderman real?" he asks.

"No, Sweetie, Spiderman is pretend," I answer.

Zack's eyes go wide and looks like I've told him he'll be going to Princess School this summer. "No, no, no," he says. "Spiderman is not pretend."

Remembering the duplicate conversation with Kaleb three years ago when he was just Zack's age, I ask, "What is Jesus. Real or pretend?"

Zack looks at me like it's a trick question, like he can't give Jesus the dignity of being real if Spiderman isn't.

"Spiderman is real," he says instead, strategically ignoring my question.

"What about Jesus?"

"Jesus is pretend! Spiderman is real. I like his movies."

I shake my head, recognizing just how alike my two boys are. Now if only Jesus would shot webs in a feature film, He'd have a fan. Uhm, make that TWO fans...

4 comments:

The Rose Family said...

I totally agree. I've often thought that the only thing lacking from teh New Testament is someone who could shoot webs out of their wrists. And who better to do that than the main character. OK- I may have just crossed the blasphemy line, but I thought your post was hilarious. :)

J. A. Blackburn said...

RFOL. That is awesome. Little boys know ALL about faith...!

Slackermommy said...

I love how kids think. I can remember my brother asking my dad if Superman and Mighty Mouse got in a fight who would win. That was 20 years ago and I still remember it.

erin said...

Wow! Mighty mouse! Taking it way back! Your poor guys! Eli has the same issues. HE has a blue sweatshirt with red trim and he asked if he turns into Spiderman when he puts it on. Dumb me said yes--in 95 degree weather. Then he said, "Do I turn into Spiderman for real or for pretend?" HE was not happy with the pretend answer. No one can argue like a 4 year old.